Friday, January 28, 2011

Hippy Wheat Pizza Dough and Simple Pizza Sauce

Since I was "let go" from my job, I've returned to my comfort... my domestic side. Hence, the birth of this blog and the desire for cooking and crafting. I wanted to make pizza for the kids not only because it's their favorite thing to eat, but also because I needed something inexpensive to make with our tight budget. However, just because we are pinching pennies doesn't mean I'm willing to sacrifice our healthy eating habits. So, I decide to take a crack at making my own pizza dough recipe. And, I must say, I think I hit this one out of the park.


Hippy Wheat Pizza Dough

Makes 2 (16 in) pizzas or 4 (10 in) pizzas

2 cups wheat flour (I used King Arthur Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour)
1 1/2 cup unbleached flour
2 tsp active dry yeast (dissolved at 110 F degrees)
1 tsp sugar (I used evaporated can sugar, but I think honey would work well too.)
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp olive oil (reserve 1 tbsp for the ball stage)
1 1/2 cup beer
Semolina or Cornmeal for dusting

*Since I am not using the traditional water to dissolve my yeast, I heat my beer in a pyrex glass measuring cup in the microwave for about 40 seconds. You will want to use a kitchen thermometer to read when the beer reaches 110 F. Let the foam of the beer die down before you mix the sugar and yeast or you will have it all over your counter*


Combine sugar, yeast, and beer and let it stand for 10 minutes. In another bowl, combine the wheat, unbleached flour, and salt. Set aside. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to beer mixture.

In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment pour in half of your dry mixture into the stainless steel mixing bowl. Pour in the beer mixture and mix on low speed. As your dough starts to form gradually, switch your paddle for your dough hook and  add the remaining flour mixture until well combined. Turn the mixer to medium until a ball forms.

Rub the dough with the remaining tbsp of olive oil. Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap. Set the dough in a warm place for an hour or two.

Once the dough has doubled in size, cut the dough in half and form two balls (for two, 16 inch crusts) or cut into four balls (for four, 10 inch crusts).

Sprinkle a clean work surface with semolina or cornmeal and roll your ball of dough out until the desired size and thickness.


 Move dough onto your pan and brush with olive oil. Pre-bake your dough for 5 - 7 minutes at 425. Remove from the oven and add your sauce and toppings and bake for an additional 8 -10 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.

Simple Pizza Sauce

Makes 1 1/2 cups

1 15 oz can organic tomato sauce
2 tbsp organic tomato paste
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tbsp olive oil
Dash of sea salt

Combine ingredients and spread  desired amount on pizza.

Here are the results of my effort. I made a half cheese, half pepperoni  pizza for the kids and a Mediterranean pizza for me and hubby.



2 comments:

  1. I can vouch for this recipe's awesomeness. Best homemade pizza I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it okay to use regular table salt in place of the sea salt ?
    A Nana in Knoxville, TN

    ReplyDelete