Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pineapple Coconut Date Wheat Bread

It started with buttermilk and dried pineapple. I made a blueberry buttermilk gelato last week, which I wasn't completely satisfied with. Hence, the missing recipe. But, I digress. So anyway, I had some buttermilk left and didn't want it to go to waste. I also had some dried pineapple that came in my tasting box from http://www.foodzie.com/. Hmmm, what to do? Ah ha! When in doubt, make bread.

This bread is super easy and perhaps a tinsy bit healthy with the fruit, wheat, and limited oil. If you need a mind vacation, I suggest taking a bite of this bread. I promise you'll start thinking of a tropical island. 


Pineapple Coconut Date Wheat Bread

1 loaf

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar (I use organic)
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/3 cup dried pineapple
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a 9x5x2 loaf pan with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, mix buttermilk, oil, vanilla, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine both flours, sugars, and fruits together. Slowly fold in buttermilk mixture until well incorporated. Dough will be thick and sticky.

Turn dough over into loaf pan. Spread evenly. Bake for 1 hour. Cool for 30 minutes (or if your like me, lose patience after 10 minutes, cut with serrated knife and eat it piping hot with butter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment